Updated February 2022
I'm offering Lessons to all students, regardless of age or location online, and starting in May for fully vaccinated students, in person lessons and classes at my location in Granby. Read this for more information.
- I teach a wide variety of stringed instruments: Violin and Fiddle, Mandolin-family, Irish Tenor Banjo, Irish Bouzouki, and Acoustic Guitar. I specialize in various styles including fiddle (Bluegrass, Celtic, Irish, Cape Breton, Quebecois, Cajun, Jazz) and mandolin (Bluegrass, Celtic, Classical). In addition, I offer viola, mandola, mandocello and octave mandolin lessons.
- Lessons times generally speaking, are 11am-1pm and 3pm-7pm Eastern Time Monday - Friday. Check the calendar/schedule for openings or email me if you can't find one that's suitable for your schedule
- Lessons start are generally 30 minutes long. 60 minute lessons are also available. Please ask. Turn on your Slack a couple minutes before it is your time and make sure you are logged in, otherwise you may miss your slot!
- Please read the Policies page. There are some important aspects of my studio that you should be aware of.
- If you don't have an invitation from me to join Slack, make sure you've registered. Find out how to do that here.
Online Lessons are very similar to local or in-person lessons. The only difference is if you have a slow connection, there may be a slight delay in transmission, which can take a little getting used to. This is very rare, however, as most people have high-speed connections and don't have a problem with delay or degradation.
Beginning students will learn the basics: music theory and how to read music, how to count, meter and rhythm, keys and chords; how to hold the instrument and pick (or bow for violin players); how to practice scales, arpeggios and exercises; how to play basic melodies. At some point, usually within a few weeks, beginning students may be ready for more advanced material which will be assigned at that time. Instruments generally available for most lessons at $30/month for rent. Please inquire
Advanced students that can already read and understand the basics of their instrument will study more advanced theory including the modes, advanced timing and rhythm, advanced chords, harmonization, improvisation, and will be introduced to a wide variety of music depending on the genre and style they have chosen to study. For example, Classical musicians will be exposed to a variety of composers from the Renaissance Era up to the Romantic Era and everything in between. Folk musicians will be exposed to a wide variety of western European traditional dance music styles including Celtic, Quebecois and Cape Breton music as well as American styles such as Bluegrass, Country, Western Swing, Jazz, Blues, and more.
Mandolin New England
If you wish to join the orchestra, and are wondering about your skill set, please contact me using the form on the sidebar (mobile users, click the menu at the top and choose contact). We'll set up a time to chat over slack so that I can learn a little more about you and your skill level. I have pieces and parts for everybody, I just need to know what you're capable of playing.